Welcome to the website of Stefan Bachmann, internationally bestselling author of books for children and young adults. To find out more about his writing, click on the Books page. For art, music, and other tidbits from the fantastical worlds of his novels, take a look at the Extras page. You can also find various short stories by Stefan, follow him on Twitter, or read about his adventures on his blog. Thanks for stopping by!
- The Cabinet of Curiosities: 36 Tales Brief and Sinister is one of Book Riot’s 53 most outstanding short stories and anthologies for 2020.
- Cinders and Sparrows has been nominated for the Vermont Golden Dome Book Award, formerly known as the the Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award.
- Cinders and Sparrows is one of A Mighty Girl‘s Books of the Year.
- Cinders and Sparrows is Owlcrate Jr.’s November book pick.
- Cinders and Sparrows has received a STARRED review from Kirkus!
- Cinders and Sparrows was voted an Indie Next List Pick for Fall 2020 by the American Booksellers Association.
- Cinders and Sparrows is a Junior Library Guild Selection!
- Stefan’s next book – Cinders and Sparrows – and will be released in English in Fall 2020 from Greenwillow / HarperCollins.
- Stefan’s first radio play – ‘In the Forest of the Dolls’ – is now available to stream in German on SRF
- The International Hay Festival for Literature has chosen Stefan Bachmann as one of the Aarhus 39, a selection of the best children’s writers under 40 in Europe.
- A Drop of Night is a Junior Library Guild Selection!
- Friday Magazine has chosen Stefan for its 30 under 30 list of young innovators and artists.
- The Cabinet of Curiosities: 36 Tales Brief and Sinister has gone into its 5th printing. Heartfelt thanks from Stefan and his fellow Curators.
- Stefan’s short story ‘M’ is featured in the much-buzzed horror anthology Slasher Girls and Monster Boys from Dial/Penguin.
- Stefan’s next book, A Drop of Night, will be published in the United States on March 15th, 2016
- The Cabinet of Curiosities has received its second starred review from Publishers Weekly!
- The Cabinet of Curiosities has received a STARRED review from Kirkus!
- The Whatnot has been chosen as one of VOYA’s best science fiction and fantasy books for young adults for 2013.
- The Peculiar has been chosen as one of Fantasy Faction’s best books of the year.
- Translation rights for The Peculiar and The Whatnot have sold in
eight languages and HarperCollins’s international paperback is
available in bookstores worldwide. Check here to see if a translation will be available in your language.
- The German edition of The Peculiar, Die Seltsamen, has released from Diogenes Verlag in Germany, Switzerland and Austria to much fanfare, including eight weeks on the Swiss hardcover bestseller list.
- The Cabinet of Curiosities is a Junior Library Guild Selection!
- Stefan Bachmann is on Huffington Post’s list of 18 under 18 for 2012.
- Publishers Weekly has given The Whatnot a STARRED review.
- Greenwillow/HarperCollins has contracted two new books from Stefan for release in 2015 and 2016.
- The Peculiar is now an international bestseller.
- The Peculiar is a finalist for the Cybils Award 2012.
- The Peculiar has been named a Publishers Weekly Best Book of the Year.
- The Peculiar has received fantastic reviews from both the New York Times and Los Angeles Times!
- The Peculiar was named one of the big children’s books of Book Expo America ’12, and was a Middle Grade Buzz Book!
- The Peculiar received a STARRED review from Publishers Weekly.
- Independent bookstores across America picked The Peculiar as one of their New Voices of 2012.
- The Peculiar is an Indie Next List Top Ten pick for Autumn 2012.
LISTEN to the audiobook
Narrated by Justine Eyre
Music by Stefan Bachmann